What are Locker Decorations?
On the Friday before Senior Week (May 13th), parents enter the school (while students are locked out!) with a decorated "locker strip" filled with pictures and other paraphernalia which celebrate their student and his/her accomplishments. Some parents even leave treats and small gifts in the lockers.
Students love walking into school to find their lockers decked-out by their parents. The rest of the school, especially teachers, love to wander the halls all week looking at the pictures. These stay up all week and will be brought home on/by Friday, May 20th.
This is a Collins Hill tradition! For ideas about how to decorate the locker strip, see a former parent's blog - The Locker Laureate.
Locker Decoration Basics
- If students do not have a locker, parents can still decorate a strip and hang it in a designated area in the 3000 building.
- STRIPS NEED TO BE DECORATED BEFORE THEY ARE BROUGHT TO THE SCHOOL! Please put your student's name and locker number on the back of the strip.
- Locker strips can be picked up in Mrs. Ebelhar's room (1.038), and you can email her with any questions.
SENIOR LOCKER GUIDELINES
- Don't use confetti or anything that will fall out of the locker when opened!
- Don't tie balloons to the locker (this will set off the security system!)
- Don't place anything on the wall above the lockers.
- Don't use irreplaceable photos on the strip. (makes copies)
- Don't use double sided tape or hot glue on the lockers.
- Don't include pictures of students in bikinis or provocative clothing!
- Use the clear packing tape (not magnetic tape, as the strips are too heavy) to attach the strips to the lockers.
- Be sure the locker strips follow Gwinnett county guidelines and pictures are appropriate (no nudity, profanity, alcohol, drugs, etc.).
- Decorate the locker assigned to your senior and on record with the school. (Make sure the locker number your student gives you is the one assigned to them.)
- Students tend to swap lockers without notifying us. You can check your locker number when you arrive to decorate.
- Some parents wish to laminate their strips to protect them. This can be done at copy shops for a nominal amount. Suggested sites: Express Print and Ship on Lawrenceville-Suwanee road; the UPS store on Taylor & Lawrenceville-Suwanee; or any Kinko's.
- Sometimes parents leave small gifts inside the locker. This is completely up to you but please make sure these are little and inexpensive items. Some suggestions would be food (always good!), disposable cameras, cards, and anything that would be appropriate for your student.
- Decorate the correct side of the strip! On one side of the strip, you will see a “TF” with indented dots. This indicates the top and front of your strip. This will make sure that you have the pictures and decorations on the correct side.